One sided view of NIMBY clique
SIR - The letter you published last week from Beth Johnson in Tipton St John gives a very one-sided view of the NIMBY clique.
We moved to Tipton St John four years ago, one of the endearing features was that it is a charming little village. I am not in favour of the Devonshire homes application, but do agree that there is a need for some affordable housing.
If the correspondent had looked at the LDF and associated SHLAA from EDDC they would have seen potential sites around Tipton St John that could comply with her demand for affordable housing and NOT cause the level of despondency the current application does.
I am not against new building of an appropriate size for a village, but am strongly against any proposal that would, increase the size of Tipton St John by 25%, give serious cause for flooding concern along Station Road, as was seen a couple of years ago, have major implications for traffic on the Sidmouth Road, not have a sewage system that is connected to the main sewer on a permanent basis, overlook those houses at the top of Mallocks Close and have the potential for surface water problems as seen by residents of Hayne Park.
One issue Beth Johnson does touch on is the issue of affordable housing that one can buy. This is one area that the LDF does not adequately address as, in the current application, only six of the 57 houses are shared ownership.
You may also want to watch:
I believe that this ratio should be substantially higher it would be interesting to hear other peoples view.
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 5 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 9 Sidmouth Brass Academy set to play again
- 10 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government
Oakley Barton Orchard, Tipton St John