SIR - Still surviving, in spite of the loss of the ‘Tree of the Week’ feature, the Sidmouth Herald review group - meeting at The Balfour on Friday lunchtimes - has felt disposed to comment on last week’s excellent edition:
We admired the colourful photographs and text relating to yet another conflagration at the Fortfield Hotel, but, most of all, it was page 21 - ‘Horse rapist spared jail’ - which caught our attention.
We were particularly puzzled by your report that the culprit ‘was not in a stable relationship’, when he obviously was in a relationship - but not in his own stable!
However, we were perturbed that you had ignored the victim’s right to anonymity by naming her.
This was a serious oversight which breached Amber’s inhuman rights; an error which, we feel, might have been justified had your report given her side of the story.
You may also want to watch:
Keith J Simm
6 Yarde Hill Orchard, Sidmouth.
- 1 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 2 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Local storyteller looks to folklore for reminders that every action has consequences
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council