SIR - Still surviving, in spite of the loss of the ‘Tree of the Week’ feature, the Sidmouth Herald review group - meeting at The Balfour on Friday lunchtimes - has felt disposed to comment on last week’s excellent edition:
We admired the colourful photographs and text relating to yet another conflagration at the Fortfield Hotel, but, most of all, it was page 21 - ‘Horse rapist spared jail’ - which caught our attention.
We were particularly puzzled by your report that the culprit ‘was not in a stable relationship’, when he obviously was in a relationship - but not in his own stable!
However, we were perturbed that you had ignored the victim’s right to anonymity by naming her.
This was a serious oversight which breached Amber’s inhuman rights; an error which, we feel, might have been justified had your report given her side of the story.
You may also want to watch:
Keith J Simm
6 Yarde Hill Orchard, Sidmouth.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 4 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
- 5 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 6 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 7 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 High scoring in the Sidmouth Stablefords
- 10 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching