Please leave room
I have often wondered why there seem to be so many road traffic orders to close roads, so that roadworks can be carried out. Which is often to repair a water leak.
I was put in the picture by a retired gentleman, a retired ex-employee of a gas company.
Water and gas pipes go under the pavements and our pavements are not constructed to take vehicular traffic. The extra weight could cause earth movement which could have some effect on underground pipework.
Nearly had a nasty accident in Sidford because a lady pushing her baby in pushchair was forced onto the road because a pavement parker left no room for a pedestrian. A car which did not stop struck the pushchair a glancing blow. Mother was very shook up.
If you must park on the pavement please leave enough room for people – the legitimate users of the pavements.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 2 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 3 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 4 Old Fore Street pedestrian zone will be open for bicycles to use
- 5 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 6 Smart mowing will create a corridor for small creatures
- 7 Rugby youngsters finish season with five tries
- 8 Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to welcome world leaders to South West
- 9 Born for the screen - Exmouth's very own Liver Bird
- 10 Rob to serve up your top topping for your perfect pizza this month