Privileged to know town’s boxers
MADAM - It was a great surprise to see a photo of Jimmy O Brien in this week s Herald, October 7. It brought back to me many memories of when I came to live in Sidmouth in 1948.
MADAM - It was a great surprise to see a photo of Jimmy O'Brien in this week's Herald, October 7.
It brought back to me many memories of when I came to live in Sidmouth in 1948.
I met Jimmy and we talked boxing. He had formed a club and had some good lads and was helped by George Burnett and his brother. He was looking for training headquarters.
The manager of the Horse and Groom, Mr J Hellier, let them take on the skittle alley for training. It was soon turned into a PT gym, complete with boxing ring. Sidmouth had some very good boxing talent at that time - to name a few - Roger Baldwin, Peter Sellick, George Baker and Mike O'Connor.
You may also want to watch:
Jimmy organised many first class contests at the Manor Hall. The Radway Cinema was also used to put on a boxing show with a London based boxing club versus Sidmouth, Exmouth and Exeter Amateur Boxing Clubs.
It was a great show. I don't think the cinema had ever been used for boxing before.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Nature's own nocturnal acrobats gracing the skies in Devon
- 6 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 7 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 8 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
Jimmy did a good job organising it and matching weights for some fine contests well matched. It was a full house, standing room only. I'll never forget it.
I was associated with Sidmouth Amateur Boxing Club for over ten years, which I considered to be a privilege.
3 Englands Close