Privileged to know town’s boxers
MADAM - It was a great surprise to see a photo of Jimmy O Brien in this week s Herald, October 7. It brought back to me many memories of when I came to live in Sidmouth in 1948.
MADAM - It was a great surprise to see a photo of Jimmy O'Brien in this week's Herald, October 7.
It brought back to me many memories of when I came to live in Sidmouth in 1948.
I met Jimmy and we talked boxing. He had formed a club and had some good lads and was helped by George Burnett and his brother. He was looking for training headquarters.
The manager of the Horse and Groom, Mr J Hellier, let them take on the skittle alley for training. It was soon turned into a PT gym, complete with boxing ring. Sidmouth had some very good boxing talent at that time - to name a few - Roger Baldwin, Peter Sellick, George Baker and Mike O'Connor.
Jimmy organised many first class contests at the Manor Hall. The Radway Cinema was also used to put on a boxing show with a London based boxing club versus Sidmouth, Exmouth and Exeter Amateur Boxing Clubs.
It was a great show. I don't think the cinema had ever been used for boxing before.
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Waves of enthusiasm for Sidmouth Sea Fest
- 3 Fire service appoints former police sergeant as ambassador for road safety initiative
- 4 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 5 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 6 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 7 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 8 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 9 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 10 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
Jimmy did a good job organising it and matching weights for some fine contests well matched. It was a full house, standing room only. I'll never forget it.
I was associated with Sidmouth Amateur Boxing Club for over ten years, which I considered to be a privilege.
3 Englands Close