Privileged to know town’s boxers
MADAM - It was a great surprise to see a photo of Jimmy O Brien in this week s Herald, October 7. It brought back to me many memories of when I came to live in Sidmouth in 1948.
MADAM - It was a great surprise to see a photo of Jimmy O'Brien in this week's Herald, October 7.
It brought back to me many memories of when I came to live in Sidmouth in 1948.
I met Jimmy and we talked boxing. He had formed a club and had some good lads and was helped by George Burnett and his brother. He was looking for training headquarters.
The manager of the Horse and Groom, Mr J Hellier, let them take on the skittle alley for training. It was soon turned into a PT gym, complete with boxing ring. Sidmouth had some very good boxing talent at that time - to name a few - Roger Baldwin, Peter Sellick, George Baker and Mike O'Connor.
You may also want to watch:
Jimmy organised many first class contests at the Manor Hall. The Radway Cinema was also used to put on a boxing show with a London based boxing club versus Sidmouth, Exmouth and Exeter Amateur Boxing Clubs.
It was a great show. I don't think the cinema had ever been used for boxing before.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 10 Grab your chance to win a new TV from Fords South West Ltd
Jimmy did a good job organising it and matching weights for some fine contests well matched. It was a full house, standing room only. I'll never forget it.
I was associated with Sidmouth Amateur Boxing Club for over ten years, which I considered to be a privilege.
3 Englands Close