Question of hotel security
SIR - Following the fire at the Fortfield Hotel, the would-be developer of the site seems to have undertaken major new work to prevent trespassing, including:
l boarding up ground floor openings
l securing stairways, fire escapes and other access points
l extending a metal perimeter fence and ensuring it was properly locked together.
As such precautions, apparently, were never taken before the fire, what are we to make of owner Andrew Torjussen’s assurances that he had done everything reasonable to make his property secure?
Council taxpayers saddled with a huge bill by the Fortfield saga will certainly be interested in the answer!
- 1 New store launches in Sidmouth's Fore Street
- 2 Ukraine refugee supporter Mukie opens community cafe
- 3 Sidmouth’s first Jazz Festival hits the right note
- 4 Preparations begin in earnest for Folk Festival
- 5 Simon Jupp calls for Prime Minister's resignation
- 6 Stark warning on spending from Devon finance chief
- 7 New direction and new chair at Vision Group for Sidmouth
- 8 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 9 Care home welcomes town council chairman during 'Wimbledon' afternoon
- 10 Date set for Straitgate Quarry appeal hearing