Question of hotel security
SIR - Following the fire at the Fortfield Hotel, the would-be developer of the site seems to have undertaken major new work to prevent trespassing, including:
l boarding up ground floor openings
l securing stairways, fire escapes and other access points
l extending a metal perimeter fence and ensuring it was properly locked together.
As such precautions, apparently, were never taken before the fire, what are we to make of owner Andrew Torjussen’s assurances that he had done everything reasonable to make his property secure?
You may also want to watch:
Council taxpayers saddled with a huge bill by the Fortfield saga will certainly be interested in the answer!
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building