Question of interpretation, perhaps
SIR - As to the letter by David Blumson (Agnostic) in last week’s Sidmouth Herald, I want to say simply and definitely to his kite-flying questions, the following:
(1) Christians believe that Jesus lives because of the Resurrection, carefully recorded in all four Gospels in the New Testament. Surely, even a serious agnostic would not have thought of Jesus getting older and older in the human understanding of growing older!
(2) A healthy protest against miracle-mongering is a welcome thing. You ask ‘Did Jesus really walk on water?’ Volumes have been written on the miracles and especially on this one, but beware of rationalism, some say he was only paddling in the shallows. A small Greek preposition, on or by, alters its meaning. Does he really think the Galilean lake was a salt water lake? It is generally understood to have been a fresh water lake.
(3) Jesus the Son of God. Christianity asserts that this is so. It is the great miracle of the incarnation we celebrate at Christmas...
I consider his letter as the most flimsy and nonsensical piece of questioning which only reveals a colossal ignorance, crude pronouncements, and a shallow dismissal of the difficult or the unfamiliar. However, I warmly thank him for raising these questions, but ask was he becoming ‘devil’s advocate’ merely to get answers to his own questions. I kindly suggest he reads more widely and thinks more deeply on those important questions.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal