Question of spending money wisely
SIR - After reading the Herald article about our esteemed chairman of the highways use of his contingency fund, I felt I should write this letter.
Would this money not have been better spent on the upkeep of the East Devon roads system, rather than handheld speed cameras? Another concern is the disposal of the �230,000 of parking meters.
I would suggest he takes them up to Knowle Council Offices car park, or buries them in the potholes in All Saints Road.
It’s the misuse of limited funds and very poor pre-planning that has put the UK into this current downward spiral.
Common sense needs to prevail on the use of funds available, as we do not have the option of luxury, just basic necessity if we wish to climb out of this recession.
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 3 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 4 Waves of enthusiasm for Sidmouth Sea Fest
- 5 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 6 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 7 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 8 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 9 Fire service appoints former police sergeant as ambassador for road safety initiative
- 10 'Amazing' fossils on display at Sidmouth Museum