Question of the number seven
SIR - Your correspondent, Mrs H Gohns (Sidmouth Herald, September 24) makes some excellent points and her letter supports the remarks made about the authenticity of the Bible, by Rod Boggia (Sidmouth Herald, September 10).
There is no doubt that there is something very special about the Bible which defies rational explanation.
Some material scientists, like Stephen Hawking and Richard Dawkins, try to explain away the possibility that God exists.
But theology, mysticism and metaphysics go beyond material science and the Bible supports this view, with the mysterious repetition of the number seven.
The number seven is a symbol appearing in other traditions too, because the forces it symbolizes are cosmic and universal.
That does not detract from the Bible in any way, but rather it enhances it as going further in its majestic and uniquely inspired wisdom.
There are many other writings that are not included in the canon of scripture and which some readers may find helpful in their spiritual quest, but, for most people, the accepted books of The Old Testament and New Testament are quite enough to be going on with.
- 1 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 2 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 3 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 4 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 5 Students carry on Christmas tradition by taking tree through town
- 6 Sidmouth to get state of the art hearing treatment
- 7 Welcome boost for road safety and a milestone for club
- 8 Seven rescue animals in Devon needing new forever homes
- 9 Christmas Light Switch-Ons in East Devon's towns
- 10 Sidmouth Bowls Club vote in a new President
As Jesus Christ himself said: “Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.”
6 Lennox Avenue