SIR - I would like to add my comments about Stowford Lodge to contribute to the discussion about the future of this facility.
NHS Partnership Trust spokesman, whose comments you reported in the Sidmouth Herald on 11.2.2011 were a fatuous remark, “Stowford Lodge is the building not a service” he said. Hospitals are buildings, but we all know what we expect that building to house, medical and surgical services for patients. We expect Stowford Lodge to provide care for the elderly mentally-confused and give respite care for the carers. I found those comments of the spokesman patronising and insulting towards those who need the service which Stowford Lodge provides.
Carers save the NHS and Social Sevices millions of pounds every year and they need help and support to care for their mentally-frail elderly relatives and not insensitive remarks.
Stowford Lodge was purpose-built for the care of the elderly mentally confused, so why is it not seen as this type of facility now?
If the NHS is no longer the provider for this type of care, why cannot the building be used by Social Services on behalf of the NHS Partnership Trust leaving a suitable venue for the NHS staff to use for specialist clinics where clinical care and treatment can also be given?
You may also want to watch:
No doubt the care the NHS is planning to offer for the future will be “home based” which means the carer will end up with no respite care outside their home and they will become even more stressed and tired as a result.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 4 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 5 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 6 New plan to build East Devon back better after the pandemic
- 7 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 8 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 9 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 10 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need