SIR - I would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to everyone who put a cross by my name in last Thursday’s district elections. I was hopeful of gaining a seat, but I was overwhelmed by the final result.
I spoke to hundreds of people during the weeks leading up to the election and learnt a lot about the various issues and concerns in individual villages, as well as what people value in a district councillor.
A higher percentage of people in the Ottery St Mary Rural ward cast their vote than anywhere else in East Devon – a huge 62.3 per cent of the electorate! I feel very fortunate to represent an area where so many people are interested in local issues.
The knowledge I gained from talking to people will stand me in good stead for representing their views at The Knowle.
You may also want to watch:
East Devon District Councillor,
Ottery St Mary Rural Ward
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge