Sidmouth Donkey Sanctuary offers ‘unique’ weddings
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth’s Donkey Sanctuary has become ‘one of the most unusual wedding venues in the world’ now it has been granted a marriage licence.
Venue bosses hope the unique setting – and a four-legged bridesmaid or two – will lure couples in and bring a boost to the animal charity.
Brides and grooms can exchange nuptials in a formal garden room or the warm and cosy setting of a donkey stable.
Wedding coordinator Claire Shapcott said: “The Donkey Sanctuary must be one of the most unusual wedding venues in the world and the perfect choice for those looking for a truly memorable day for themselves and their guests.”
She has enjoyed coming up with quirky fundraising ideas for the charity, and said it was ‘so exciting’ to get the marriage licence after thinking it up last year.
“My wedding day was the best day of my life – I want to give that experience to other people,” said Claire, who started at the sanctuary as an animal groom.
Although she’s already married, Claire admitted she would like to renew her vows there in a few years’ time.
- 1 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 2 Sidmouth Hospice at Home fulfils local man's final wish
- 3 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 4 British Heart Foundation shop in Sidmouth urgently seeking volunteers
- 5 School steps up safety at road crossing areas
- 6 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 7 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 8 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 9 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 10 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth
She added: “The brides love it, but the men take a bit more convincing.”
As well as marriages and civil ceremonies, the venue now also boasts camping nights with the donkeys, and is holding a wedding fair on May 5.
The fundraisers boost the Sidmouth site, which is home to 500 of the 15,500 donkeys that the charity has provided sanctuary for since forming in 1969.
? For more information, contact Claire on 01395 578222 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.