Speak up, Claire
I write about a brave lady, Councillor Claire Wright, whom we really needed on the platform on Thursday, April 26 at the Manor Pavilion for the Save Our Sidmouth meeting.
The meeting was remarkably well attended, with many people unable to get in.
Claire fought and won as an Independent last year against the sitting incumbent for Ottery St Mary Rural ward, Sarah Randall Johnson, who was also the leader of East Devon District Council.
Unfortunately, after Claire’s victory at the poll, Mrs Johnson gave her no opportunity to speak. And, ever since that time, Claire had been pushed aside by other councillors. They told her that she should not speak up for Sidmouth at the Save Our Sidmouth meeting.
But it would have been helpful to have a lady on the platform who is an independent councillor and therefore non-political.
A little more kind and better behaviour towards Cllr Wright would be appropriate.
- 1 'It's a nightmare': Sidmouth business react as roadworks get underway
- 2 Ottery resident honoured by Spanish principality
- 3 Night-time fish thief makes daring raids on Otter Garden Centre pond
- 4 Exciting discovery as Sidmouth observatory reopens
- 5 'Small farmers' livelihoods face collapse, post-Brexit'
- 6 DCC survey shows the condition of Devon's roads has improved
- 7 Tell us a Story
- 8 Sidmouth Repair Cafe to hold first session of the New Year
- 9 Book your space in the Ottery Tent at 2022 Food and Families Festival
- 10 Ottery's beautiful and historic church - 'little sister' to Exeter Cathedral
Lennox Avenue, Sidmouth