Speak up, Claire
I write about a brave lady, Councillor Claire Wright, whom we really needed on the platform on Thursday, April 26 at the Manor Pavilion for the Save Our Sidmouth meeting.
The meeting was remarkably well attended, with many people unable to get in.
Claire fought and won as an Independent last year against the sitting incumbent for Ottery St Mary Rural ward, Sarah Randall Johnson, who was also the leader of East Devon District Council.
Unfortunately, after Claire’s victory at the poll, Mrs Johnson gave her no opportunity to speak. And, ever since that time, Claire had been pushed aside by other councillors. They told her that she should not speak up for Sidmouth at the Save Our Sidmouth meeting.
But it would have been helpful to have a lady on the platform who is an independent councillor and therefore non-political.
You may also want to watch:
A little more kind and better behaviour towards Cllr Wright would be appropriate.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 4 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 5 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 6 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Pianist set to delight audiences in 50th anniversary season
- 9 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 10 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching
Lennox Avenue, Sidmouth