Still a big issue
When buying my copy of The Big Issue from my regular seller in the local area, I noticed he was not his usual cheerful self.
His reply when I asked why surprised me. He said that people ignored him and he struggled to sell his magazines.
Sometimes he felt he would be better off begging on the pavement.
The Big Issue was set up by John Bird and Anita Roddick’s partner (Body Shop) to help people who had fallen on bad times (often through no fault of their own – death, health problems, job loss, separation/divorce, mental illness, etc).
Big Issue sellers are actually working: it is a job! The money helps them to pay their way and get back on their feet.
I encourage people not to dismiss them out of hand, but to support them. It costs £2.50 and is a good read. And remember that there, but for fortune, go you and I.
Mrs A Hammer
- 1 Business breakfast aims to link up local professionals
- 2 New town council chair sets out his aims
- 3 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 4 Bugler needed for Sidmouth beacon lighting event
- 5 Cost of living crisis how Sidmouth businesses are coping
- 6 'Thank you' - Ukraine medic moved to tears by donations from Ottery
- 7 Ottery residents struggling with Medical Centre absence
- 8 Mica Paris apologises to Sidmouth as festival concert is moved to following day
- 9 Recycled toy shop's kind gesture to Ukrainian families
- 10 Local slimmer wins prize for low-calorie stew recipe