Tesco believe flood risk only rare
MADAM - Among the many other concerns regarding the planning application now submitted for the Town Mill site in Ottery is the proposal to build a food store in such close proximity to a volatile river, and where serious flooding has already been experien
MADAM - Among the many other concerns regarding the planning application now submitted for the Town Mill site in Ottery is the proposal to build a food store in such close proximity to a volatile river, and where serious flooding has already been experienced.
When Tesco (we are all aware that they are currently the interested party in this case) held their presentation in town some months ago, we commented to their representatives that food, fridges and electrics do not mix well with flood water so surely they would be considering plans for flood prevention at the site? It followed that if they built flood defences, or raised the site level to divert water away from their store, this would certainly result in worse flooding on the other side of the river. That water will simply go somewhere else - into the existing businesses on the Finnimore Estate and on down to the residents at Tipton St John who have already experienced serious problems.
Considering the national publicity that last year's appalling floods received, it was surprising that they appeared completely unprepared on this point. The eventual unconvincing reply was that according to their research the flooding was forecast on average to only occur once every twenty years and that they were quite happy to 'take a hit' every twenty years or so, scrap all damaged equipment and stock, redecorate and start afresh.
Mrs Janis Thatcher
You may also want to watch:
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 4 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 5 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 6 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 7 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 8 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
Ottery St Mar