Thank you Roger
- Credit: Archant
To most readers of the Sidmouth Herald Roger Simmonds will simply be a name at the bottom of countless pieces of theatrical editorial and reviews, written over many years.
At Simouth Arts Club Operatic Society, however, we knew the man behind the name.
Roger was one of the kindest and most genuinely sincere men I have ever known.
To the end a staunch supporter of our society and the many individual performers who have ‘trodden the boards’ over the years, some of whom became close friends.
His commitment to his art was total and nothing was ever too much trouble.
You may also want to watch:
He would think nothing, for example, of sitting through an entire rehearsal for research before writing one of his articles.
Many of our ticket sales over the years have been as a direct result of his imaginative publicity editorials – and for this we have always been truly grateful.
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 5 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 8 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 9 Sidmouth Brass Academy set to play again
- 10 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
His reviews were always fair, balanced and complimentary where possible and, where he felt criticism was justified, it was inevitably delivered in a constructive manner.
Finally, and on a lighter note, the lasting memory of Roger for many at SACOS will be as a magical master of mercilessly mirthful alliteration.
Thank you Roger.
You will be greatly missed by us all.