Thank you Roger
- Credit: Archant
To most readers of the Sidmouth Herald Roger Simmonds will simply be a name at the bottom of countless pieces of theatrical editorial and reviews, written over many years.
At Simouth Arts Club Operatic Society, however, we knew the man behind the name.
Roger was one of the kindest and most genuinely sincere men I have ever known.
To the end a staunch supporter of our society and the many individual performers who have ‘trodden the boards’ over the years, some of whom became close friends.
His commitment to his art was total and nothing was ever too much trouble.
He would think nothing, for example, of sitting through an entire rehearsal for research before writing one of his articles.
Many of our ticket sales over the years have been as a direct result of his imaginative publicity editorials – and for this we have always been truly grateful.
- 1 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 2 Comedy and horror at Sidbury Manor in film being released next month
- 3 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 4 Amateur dramatic society present 'tried and tested' comedy
- 5 Get ready to dive into Sidmouth's Sea Fest
- 6 Is 'no dig' gardening lazy or are we just replicating nature?
- 7 Preparations underway for Salcombe Regis Fair while car parking remains a hot topic
- 8 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Festival organisers join forces to boost the town's 'brilliant cultural offer'
His reviews were always fair, balanced and complimentary where possible and, where he felt criticism was justified, it was inevitably delivered in a constructive manner.
Finally, and on a lighter note, the lasting memory of Roger for many at SACOS will be as a magical master of mercilessly mirthful alliteration.
Thank you Roger.
You will be greatly missed by us all.