Thank you Roger
- Credit: Archant
To most readers of the Sidmouth Herald Roger Simmonds will simply be a name at the bottom of countless pieces of theatrical editorial and reviews, written over many years.
At Simouth Arts Club Operatic Society, however, we knew the man behind the name.
Roger was one of the kindest and most genuinely sincere men I have ever known.
To the end a staunch supporter of our society and the many individual performers who have ‘trodden the boards’ over the years, some of whom became close friends.
His commitment to his art was total and nothing was ever too much trouble.
You may also want to watch:
He would think nothing, for example, of sitting through an entire rehearsal for research before writing one of his articles.
Many of our ticket sales over the years have been as a direct result of his imaginative publicity editorials – and for this we have always been truly grateful.
- 1 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 8 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
His reviews were always fair, balanced and complimentary where possible and, where he felt criticism was justified, it was inevitably delivered in a constructive manner.
Finally, and on a lighter note, the lasting memory of Roger for many at SACOS will be as a magical master of mercilessly mirthful alliteration.
Thank you Roger.
You will be greatly missed by us all.