The full life of a Sidmouth man
MADAM – Re Ivan Roy Elliott Symons (deceased): My late husband was born in Sidmouth and went to school in Sidbury and Ottery St Mary. Forced to leave farming, he became a civil servant at Somerset House.
MADAM - Re Ivan Roy Elliott Symons (deceased): My late husband was born in Sidmouth and went to school in Sidbury and Ottery St Mary. Forced to leave farming, he became a civil servant at Somerset House. He was a veteran involved on liaison with Polish forces and landed with 1st Armoured Division in Normandy and was involved with it afterwards (Falaise Gap etc).
He returned for retirement in Sidmouth. On our Diamond Wedding in January, we were in different hospitals he in Sidmouth and I at Wonford with a broken hip.
We have three children, 13 grandchildren and, soon to be, eight great grandchildren.
My husband ended up quite blind but remained active till quite recently and mentally "with-it", dying at last in Radway Lodge on March 25, 2009. His funeral service was in Sidbury parish Church on April 8.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses