The full life of a Sidmouth man
MADAM – Re Ivan Roy Elliott Symons (deceased): My late husband was born in Sidmouth and went to school in Sidbury and Ottery St Mary. Forced to leave farming, he became a civil servant at Somerset House.
MADAM - Re Ivan Roy Elliott Symons (deceased): My late husband was born in Sidmouth and went to school in Sidbury and Ottery St Mary. Forced to leave farming, he became a civil servant at Somerset House. He was a veteran involved on liaison with Polish forces and landed with 1st Armoured Division in Normandy and was involved with it afterwards (Falaise Gap etc).
He returned for retirement in Sidmouth. On our Diamond Wedding in January, we were in different hospitals he in Sidmouth and I at Wonford with a broken hip.
We have three children, 13 grandchildren and, soon to be, eight great grandchildren.
My husband ended up quite blind but remained active till quite recently and mentally "with-it", dying at last in Radway Lodge on March 25, 2009. His funeral service was in Sidbury parish Church on April 8.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead