The full life of a Sidmouth man
MADAM – Re Ivan Roy Elliott Symons (deceased): My late husband was born in Sidmouth and went to school in Sidbury and Ottery St Mary. Forced to leave farming, he became a civil servant at Somerset House.
MADAM - Re Ivan Roy Elliott Symons (deceased): My late husband was born in Sidmouth and went to school in Sidbury and Ottery St Mary. Forced to leave farming, he became a civil servant at Somerset House. He was a veteran involved on liaison with Polish forces and landed with 1st Armoured Division in Normandy and was involved with it afterwards (Falaise Gap etc).
He returned for retirement in Sidmouth. On our Diamond Wedding in January, we were in different hospitals he in Sidmouth and I at Wonford with a broken hip.
We have three children, 13 grandchildren and, soon to be, eight great grandchildren.
My husband ended up quite blind but remained active till quite recently and mentally "with-it", dying at last in Radway Lodge on March 25, 2009. His funeral service was in Sidbury parish Church on April 8.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 2 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 3 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 4 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 5 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 6 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 7 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 8 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary