SIR - A thought-provoking seminar was given on Friday, May 18 in the Leigh-Browne Room of Sidmouth Old Meeting by Professor David Selby.
Professor Selby spoke about The Gathering Storm, the threat of climate change and why we ignore it. Some of us are in denial, not knowing how to respond to it, while others of us dispute the scientific data, even where the facts are overwhelming and accepted by reputable scientists.
It is important that older people and parents and teachers talk with youngsters to make them aware and prepare them.
Professor Selby said that people need to return to the numinous, and awareness of beauty, wonder and awe, instead of continually racing to purchase more and more consumer goods, wrongly imagining that unlimited growth and huge technological fixes are the answers to all our environmental problems.
A member of Professor Selby’s audience pointed out that a sufficiency of goods should satisfy us, using the phrase “Enough is enough”, while many people across with world lack food due to climate change, causing them to leave their homes and migrate in sheer desperation.
You may also want to watch:
Professor Selby is founding director of Sustainability Frontiers, a locally-based non-governmental organisation that works internationally, often with UNESCO and UNICEF. He has many prestigious appointments.
- 1 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 2 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 3 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 4 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 5 Top books to inspire children to love nature this summer
- 6 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 7 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 8 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
Lennox Avenue, Sidmouth