Threat to town
SIR - In a letter headed ‘Up your game’, I was concerned to read the views of the lady from Seaton.
She may enjoy coffee from a national company like Costa, but, remember, it’s groups like Supermarket chains that have destroyed many town centres, not to mention the loss of a very good pub.
My other concern is her view that a Wetherspoon’s would be good for the town, giving Mr Family Man and Mrs Day Tripper somewhere to go for a reasonably-priced meal.
Wetherspoon’s recently set up in the beautiful town of Malvern, in Worcestershire, much against the wishes of the majority of residents. Mr Family Man and Mrs Day Tripper go nowhere near the place, as there is usually a police car parked outside and a room full of drunks inside.
In many ways, Malvern is much like Sidmouth. Don’t let it happen here.
You may also want to watch:
Nutbourne, Boughmore Road, Sidmouth
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98