Time we financially supported hall
SIR – The decision of Branscombe Parish Council to demonstrate financial support for the refurbishment of the village hall is greatly welcomed.
SIR - The decision of Branscombe Parish Council to demonstrate financial support for the refurbishment of the village hall is greatly welcomed.
The villagers of Branscombe have enjoyed the use of the hall for more than 30 years without contributing to its upkeep from public money.
This has been largely due to prudent management by the hall's trustees and a great deal of work by village volunteers, but now more help is needed.
The parish council has always pursued a policy of keeping the precept as low as possible, which has led them to operate very tightly, but I think the time has come to build up a reserve to deal with the unexpected.
- 1 Harlan's a winner after completing reading challenge
- 2 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 3 Comedy and horror at Sidbury Manor in film being released next month
- 4 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 5 Preparations underway for Salcombe Regis Fair while car parking remains a hot topic
- 6 Injured coast path walker airlifted to hospital
- 7 Ceremony launches installation of defibrillator at Ottery Cricket Club
- 8 Property of the Week: Overthorpe, Cliff Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Service veterans 'crowdfund' to buy Queen's Colours flag for Sidmouth
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?