Time we financially supported hall
SIR – The decision of Branscombe Parish Council to demonstrate financial support for the refurbishment of the village hall is greatly welcomed.
SIR - The decision of Branscombe Parish Council to demonstrate financial support for the refurbishment of the village hall is greatly welcomed.
The villagers of Branscombe have enjoyed the use of the hall for more than 30 years without contributing to its upkeep from public money.
This has been largely due to prudent management by the hall's trustees and a great deal of work by village volunteers, but now more help is needed.
The parish council has always pursued a policy of keeping the precept as low as possible, which has led them to operate very tightly, but I think the time has come to build up a reserve to deal with the unexpected.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98