SIR - I am writing on behalf of the Meningitis Trust to let people know about a new meningitis vaccine that is available for adults.
This vaccine, which is available at your doctor’s, can help protect against the devastating pneumococcal meningitis strain which kills 15% of people affected and leaves a further 25% with severe and life-changing after-effects.
There is a common misconception that meningitis is a disease that only affects babies and young children. Although about half of all cases of meningitis occur in the under five age group, adults over 50 are considered an ‘at risk’ group, along with teenagers and young adults.
The introduction of this new adult vaccine comes just in time for the ‘peak season’ for meningitis, which runs during the winter months. We would urge adults who are over 50 to talk to their doctor about getting the vaccine. Although this vaccine can help protect against pneumococcal meningitis, there are many strains of the disease which have no vaccine, so knowing the symptoms, trusting your instincts and acting quickly, if concerned, is essential.
As anyone, of any age, at any time, can be a victim of meningitis, everyone should look out for each other this winter. For lifesaving symptoms information, log on to www.meningitis-symptoms.co.uk , call our helpline on 0800 028 18 28 for a free credit card-sized symptoms card or download one of free Smart phone apps from www.meningitisapp.co.uk.
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Waves of enthusiasm for Sidmouth Sea Fest
- 3 Fire service appoints former police sergeant as ambassador for road safety initiative
- 4 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 5 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 6 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 7 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 8 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 9 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 10 'Amazing' fossils on display at Sidmouth Museum