SIR - I am writing on behalf of the Meningitis Trust to let people know about a new meningitis vaccine that is available for adults.
This vaccine, which is available at your doctor’s, can help protect against the devastating pneumococcal meningitis strain which kills 15% of people affected and leaves a further 25% with severe and life-changing after-effects.
There is a common misconception that meningitis is a disease that only affects babies and young children. Although about half of all cases of meningitis occur in the under five age group, adults over 50 are considered an ‘at risk’ group, along with teenagers and young adults.
The introduction of this new adult vaccine comes just in time for the ‘peak season’ for meningitis, which runs during the winter months. We would urge adults who are over 50 to talk to their doctor about getting the vaccine. Although this vaccine can help protect against pneumococcal meningitis, there are many strains of the disease which have no vaccine, so knowing the symptoms, trusting your instincts and acting quickly, if concerned, is essential.
As anyone, of any age, at any time, can be a victim of meningitis, everyone should look out for each other this winter. For lifesaving symptoms information, log on to www.meningitis-symptoms.co.uk , call our helpline on 0800 028 18 28 for a free credit card-sized symptoms card or download one of free Smart phone apps from www.meningitisapp.co.uk.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 3 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 4 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 5 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 6 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 7 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 8 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 9 Property of the Week: Green Gables
- 10 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity