Vote and make a difference!
SIR - I found myself reading Ralph Gray’s letter in last week’s Herald and agreeing with most of his points he made about me, although I suspect he wasn’t intending them as compliments! It is quite true that:
I have kept people informed regularly in relation to various large-scale planning applications in West Hill (I have not, though, urged people to object)
I have led protests at the Knowle against the horrendous Local Development Framework plans for mass development in East Devon, simultaneously wielding placards.
I have, indeed, been accompanied at these protests by an ‘equally vociferous independent councillor’ – who goes by the name of Roger Giles (and dozens of other concerned people from across East Devon)
Given speeches at numerous Development Management Committee meetings, against this mass development
Communities Before Developers suspects that some councillors at EDDC hoped to get these damaging plans approved under the radar. Interestingly, all EDDC’s LDF-related publicity failed to mention the numbers of houses or industrial estates proposed – or, in fact, that countryside protections were weakened.
Mr Gray says he can’t wait until May to express his opinion through the ballot box. I applaud his enthusiasm for the elections.
- 1 New store launches in Sidmouth's Fore Street
- 2 Ukraine refugee supporter Mukie opens community cafe
- 3 Sidmouth’s first Jazz Festival hits the right note
- 4 Preparations begin in earnest for Folk Festival
- 5 Simon Jupp calls for Prime Minister's resignation
- 6 Stark warning on spending from Devon finance chief
- 7 New direction and new chair at Vision Group for Sidmouth
- 8 Date set for Straitgate Quarry appeal hearing
- 9 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 10 Chief of staff Steve Barclay replaces Sajid Javid as health secretary
I hope that each resident will grab their chance to vote with both hands on May 5 and, importantly, vote for the candidate (regardless of political persuasion) who they are confident will represent their views. It could make all the difference.
Communities Before Developers and
Ottery St Mary Town Councillor for West Hill