SIR - Those of us with fond memories of the first series of Auf Wiedersehen Pet recall Barry’s (Timothy Spall’s) superb definition of the A(lternative)V(ote) system.
In the January 27, 1984 episode, the lads decided to renovate their hut using paint “borrowed” from the building site they were working on. Long discussions about what colour failed to produce agreement. Barry suggested that they go to a vote by each one listing a few favourite colours in order of preference.
He took the lists to a corner and came back to announce the result, which, to universal disgust, was YELLOW. His immortal response amongst the ensuing hubbub was “Well, that’s democracy ain’t it. Everybody gets what nobody wants!”
Be careful what you vote for on May 5!
- 1 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
- 2 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 3 Mayor's New Year message and ideas sought for Jubilee celebrations
- 4 'Brilliant' 2021 fundraising success for Otter Garden Centre
- 5 Ottery's beautiful and historic church - 'little sister' to Exeter Cathedral
- 6 16-year-old among arrests in Christmas drink and drug driving clampdown
- 7 East Devon economy bouncing back from Covid
- 8 Drug runner spared jail after court hears he's beating habit
- 9 Property of the Week: Livonia Road
- 10 Sidmouth U18s Girls stay top after nail-biting victory