SIR - Those of us with fond memories of the first series of Auf Wiedersehen Pet recall Barry’s (Timothy Spall’s) superb definition of the A(lternative)V(ote) system.
In the January 27, 1984 episode, the lads decided to renovate their hut using paint “borrowed” from the building site they were working on. Long discussions about what colour failed to produce agreement. Barry suggested that they go to a vote by each one listing a few favourite colours in order of preference.
He took the lists to a corner and came back to announce the result, which, to universal disgust, was YELLOW. His immortal response amongst the ensuing hubbub was “Well, that’s democracy ain’t it. Everybody gets what nobody wants!”
Be careful what you vote for on May 5!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Mighty Greens conquer Plym Trail marathon