SIR - Those of us with fond memories of the first series of Auf Wiedersehen Pet recall Barry’s (Timothy Spall’s) superb definition of the A(lternative)V(ote) system.
In the January 27, 1984 episode, the lads decided to renovate their hut using paint “borrowed” from the building site they were working on. Long discussions about what colour failed to produce agreement. Barry suggested that they go to a vote by each one listing a few favourite colours in order of preference.
He took the lists to a corner and came back to announce the result, which, to universal disgust, was YELLOW. His immortal response amongst the ensuing hubbub was “Well, that’s democracy ain’t it. Everybody gets what nobody wants!”
Be careful what you vote for on May 5!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 The strangest possible score in rugby
- 2 Be prepared! Plan for uncertain months ahead
- 3 Sidmouth drug dealer spared immediate jail sentence
- 4 Illuminations by the sea start Christmas in Sidmouth
- 5 Inside story on pub kitchens provides food for thought
- 6 Tories' approach to councillor checks could fuel hysteria
- 7 Sidmouth’s Antony Hall secures 2nd with 7+ hours of running
- 8 Archbishop of Canterbury to join Patteson celebrations
- 9 Stay positive and hope staycations are here to stay
- 10 So much to enjoy on our doorstep... despite the crowds