Wartime spirit meant show went on after floods
MADAM - I am writing to express in public my admiration for Steve Pearcy, who had to make a very difficult decision about whether the Ottery Carnival should run or not.
MADAM - I am writing to express in public my admiration for Steve Pearcy, who had to make a very difficult decision about whether the Ottery Carnival should run or not. It was thought by some to be inappropriate after the flooding disaster followed by bad weather on the night itself.
I for one am so proud that he stood his ground and the event took place. It was so moving to see everyone determined that a valuable expression of community working together was not lost. It reminded me of the spirit of the Windmill Theatre in the war - "WE NEVER CLOSE!" I for one applauded and cheered them all the way as did so many others who had lined the streets on a dismal night to express community solidarity. Well done, Ottery, and well done everyone who took part.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery St Mary
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 4 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 5 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 6 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching
- 9 Pianist set to delight audiences in 50th anniversary season
- 10 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members