Waste of money?
The headline “A new chain for our mayor” (Ottery Herald front page last week) - how ridiculous!
We have a hard-working and perfectly adequate mayor. If a chain is necessary, go straight to Abbotts and buy a good, British steel item. We don’t require to spend £2,000.
If we go ahead and buy a gold chain, think of all the ‘bru-ha-ha’ involved! Insurance, security, ‘et al’.
Go to Abbotts, our nationally senior ironmongers. They will show our councillors a great assortment - possibly a chain with a handle marked ‘Pull!!!’
We came to Ottery back in 1962. In that year we had a railway station. We also had a bus service and could go to a show in Exeter, returning on the last bus.
You may also want to watch:
Spend your £2,000 on the much-needed foodbank!
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
Winters Lane, Ottery St Mary