Waste of money?
The headline “A new chain for our mayor” (Ottery Herald front page last week) - how ridiculous!
We have a hard-working and perfectly adequate mayor. If a chain is necessary, go straight to Abbotts and buy a good, British steel item. We don’t require to spend £2,000.
If we go ahead and buy a gold chain, think of all the ‘bru-ha-ha’ involved! Insurance, security, ‘et al’.
Go to Abbotts, our nationally senior ironmongers. They will show our councillors a great assortment - possibly a chain with a handle marked ‘Pull!!!’
We came to Ottery back in 1962. In that year we had a railway station. We also had a bus service and could go to a show in Exeter, returning on the last bus.
Spend your £2,000 on the much-needed foodbank!
- 1 Night-time fish thief makes daring raids on Otter Garden Centre pond
- 2 Exciting discovery as Sidmouth observatory reopens
- 3 Sidmouth Repair Cafe to hold first session of the New Year
- 4 'I am pro-vaccine, but I am also pro-choice'
- 5 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth on the climb while Otters rebuild
- 7 Sidmouth in Bloom hope to sow the seeds for national glory
- 8 'Stunning' donation made to Dream-A-Way by HMS Defender
- 9 Litter pickers shocked by amount of waste in river Otter
- 10 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
Winters Lane, Ottery St Mary