Waste of money?
The headline “A new chain for our mayor” (Ottery Herald front page last week) - how ridiculous!
We have a hard-working and perfectly adequate mayor. If a chain is necessary, go straight to Abbotts and buy a good, British steel item. We don’t require to spend £2,000.
If we go ahead and buy a gold chain, think of all the ‘bru-ha-ha’ involved! Insurance, security, ‘et al’.
Go to Abbotts, our nationally senior ironmongers. They will show our councillors a great assortment - possibly a chain with a handle marked ‘Pull!!!’
We came to Ottery back in 1962. In that year we had a railway station. We also had a bus service and could go to a show in Exeter, returning on the last bus.
You may also want to watch:
Spend your £2,000 on the much-needed foodbank!
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 4 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 5 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 6 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 7 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 8 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 9 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 10 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
Winters Lane, Ottery St Mary