Waste of money?
The headline “A new chain for our mayor” (Ottery Herald front page last week) - how ridiculous!
We have a hard-working and perfectly adequate mayor. If a chain is necessary, go straight to Abbotts and buy a good, British steel item. We don’t require to spend £2,000.
If we go ahead and buy a gold chain, think of all the ‘bru-ha-ha’ involved! Insurance, security, ‘et al’.
Go to Abbotts, our nationally senior ironmongers. They will show our councillors a great assortment - possibly a chain with a handle marked ‘Pull!!!’
We came to Ottery back in 1962. In that year we had a railway station. We also had a bus service and could go to a show in Exeter, returning on the last bus.
Spend your £2,000 on the much-needed foodbank!
- 1 New store launches in Sidmouth's Fore Street
- 2 Woman seriously injured after motorway bridge fall
- 3 One arrest after fuel protests on M5 and A38 in Somerset and Devon
- 4 'Donkey work' boosts wildflower growth at sanctuary
- 5 New direction and new chair at Vision Group for Sidmouth
- 6 Opening a new shop presents a risk, but rewards are there if you work hard
- 7 End of year exhibition by Art Academy
- 8 Preparations begin in earnest for Folk Festival
- 9 Support partnership shows looking after town's library is no 'fools' errand...
- 10 Cricketing pacesetters hit some unexpected buffers
Winters Lane, Ottery St Mary