We could buy park
I write concerning the future of Knowle and, in particular, its beautiful (but, I suspect, not-too-well-known) park.
Might I suggest that there’s only one way to guard this from the developers and guarantee its long-term future - which is for those of us concerned enough to come together and buy it?
I, therefore, propose a fund be established, possibly under the aegis of either the Sid Vale Association or the chamber of commerce, to a) begin gathering both actual donations and pledges from both individuals and businesses and, b) seek a ‘first refusal’ guarantee from East Devon District Council for whenever Knowle comes onto the market. Once purchased, the park could be gifted to the town, with suitable covenant safeguards, in perpetuity.
Should the fund also allow the purchase of the present council offices, these could be converted to either residential or holiday accommodation, the capital raised being invested for the maintenance of the park.
What do my fellow Sidmothians think? Are we that concerned?
You may also want to watch:
The peace of Christ be with you.
Rev David J C Wheeler
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 3 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 6 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 7 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 8 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
Ascerton Close, Sidmouth