What colourful community spirit!
SIR – A perfect end to a perfect day.
So said all of us, as the tables were packed away and we went home to reflect, not only on the beauty of a Royal Wedding that had enthralled the nation but, also, on Sidmouth’s very own street party.
With 120 tables for 720 filling Old Fore Street, New Street and Church Street, what a delightful celebration it was and what a triumph, too, for the Chamber of Commerce which organised and staged it so meticulously down to the last detail.
So, congratulations to chairman Richard Eley and all who helped in so many ways, not least Steven Kendall-Torry, Sylvia Brownlee, Edwina Ford, Christina Dickinson and the Herald’s news editor, Di Bowerman.
But it was the townspeople themselves, not forgetting the Town Band, compere Mike Dibble and all the entertainers, who made this such a happy, beflagged outpouring of red white and blue community spirit, just as they did, as the Herald’s commemorative pullout showed last week, on those Royal occasions in bygone years.
Perhaps the Chamber can do it all again for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebration next year!
Monica and Kingsley Squire
- 1 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 2 Waves of enthusiasm for Sidmouth Sea Fest
- 3 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 4 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
- 5 Fire service appoints former police sergeant as ambassador for road safety initiative
- 6 Sainsbury's alters planned car park signs after 'customers only' concerns
- 7 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 8 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 9 Firefighters tackle car fire at Ottery supermarket
- 10 'Amazing' fossils on display at Sidmouth Museum
3 Cedar Shade, All Saints Road, Sidmouth