Who to believe?
- Credit: Archant
In response to V M Brown regarding man made global warming (“Duped by UKIP”, Opinion, May 17) I make the following reply.
The point I made at the hustings was that, as a non-scientist, which “expert” should I listen to?
A representative of an ex-poly that is not even in the top 200 of the world’s universities, the University of East Anglia, and who uses words like “trick” in reference to science – or a professor of MIT, arguably the best technical university in the world?
Roger Helmer, the UKIP MEP, has produced a brilliant document on this subject. Solar and wind energy are heavily subsidised and need the back-up of traditional power stations.
The reality is that when the economy recovers we will find ourselves in a very competitive world. If we cannot exploit shale gas like the USA then we will be at a severe economic disadvantage.
The science is not settled on man made global warming, and I for one am not prepared to see our economy trashed until the scientific evidence is overwhelming.
- 1 Lifeguards return to Sidmouth beach
- 2 Service veterans 'crowdfund' to buy Queen's Colours flag for Sidmouth
- 3 Injured coast path walker airlifted to hospital
- 4 Ceremony launches installation of defibrillator at Ottery Cricket Club
- 5 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
- 6 Property of the Week: Overthorpe, Cliff Road, Sidmouth
- 7 Neil Parish wont stand in Honiton and Tiverton by-election
- 8 Comedy and horror at Sidbury Manor in film being released next month
- 9 Harlan's a winner after completing reading challenge
- 10 Sidmouth Rugby Club awards ceremony