Why so defeatist?
COUNCILLOR Mrs Liverton commented at the town council that: “People in town centres choose to live there for the convenience – you also have to put up with what happens.”
What a defeatist attitude! While I agree that gated areas should only be considered as a last resort, it is totally unacceptable to suggest that the local residents ‘have to put up with it’.
An ex-policeman in East Devon assured me that after World War Two the clear-up rate for crime was 50 per cent in Exeter.
I doubt if it is anywhere near that now. The theft of a bottle of milk from the doorstep was treated as just that: theft.
We need beat policing at least on Friday and Saturday nights to prevent this disgusting behaviour.
You may also want to watch:
Bill Bratton, the New York cop who cleaned up the city decades ago, did it by the “broken windows” policy – ie concentrate on the petty crime at the bottom with more police on the streets. It worked: NY is now one of the safest cities on earth.
We have plenty of police, but we need their presence on the streets.
- 1 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 2 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 3 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 4 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 5 Top books to inspire children to love nature this summer
- 6 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 7 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 8 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary