10,000 drive mission for former King's School pupil
A FORMER pupil at The King s School will set off on a 10,000-mile drive in an old banger this summer in a bid to raise money for disadvantaged children in Mongolia.
A FORMER pupil at The King's School will set off on a 10,000-mile drive in an "old banger" this summer in a bid to raise money for disadvantaged children in Mongolia.
Dominic Yard, 25, who grew up in Tipton St John, will drive an old Skoda pick-up truck from London to Mongolian capital city Ulan Bator as part of the 2009 Mongol Rally in July.
Toy designer Dominic said: "It's 10,000 miles through mountains, deserts, rivers and maybe even snow.
"There's no flash hotels or fast cars here, just �200 bangers and the back seat.
You may also want to watch:
"The spirit of the rally is all about getting lost, breaking down and just plain winging it. There's no support crew, no GPS and even maps are frowned upon."
Dominic hopes to raise "a stack of cash" for the Mercy Corps and The Christina Noble Children's Foundation charities.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 4 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 5 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 6 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 7 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 8 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 9 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 10 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
To sponsor his bid visit www.teamradiosilence.co.uk.