10,000 drive mission for former King's School pupil
A FORMER pupil at The King s School will set off on a 10,000-mile drive in an old banger this summer in a bid to raise money for disadvantaged children in Mongolia.
A FORMER pupil at The King's School will set off on a 10,000-mile drive in an "old banger" this summer in a bid to raise money for disadvantaged children in Mongolia.
Dominic Yard, 25, who grew up in Tipton St John, will drive an old Skoda pick-up truck from London to Mongolian capital city Ulan Bator as part of the 2009 Mongol Rally in July.
Toy designer Dominic said: "It's 10,000 miles through mountains, deserts, rivers and maybe even snow.
"There's no flash hotels or fast cars here, just �200 bangers and the back seat.
You may also want to watch:
"The spirit of the rally is all about getting lost, breaking down and just plain winging it. There's no support crew, no GPS and even maps are frowned upon."
Dominic hopes to raise "a stack of cash" for the Mercy Corps and The Christina Noble Children's Foundation charities.
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 3 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 4 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 5 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 6 Can YOU help successful Sidmouth Running Club Juniors grow?
- 7 Euro 2020 sweepstake winnings donated to support cancer charity
- 8 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 9 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 10 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
To sponsor his bid visit www.teamradiosilence.co.uk.