12ft fence to tackle wayward footballs
- Credit: Archant
Goalposts a community waited five years for will be removed after just a fortnight because of complaints from nearby residents.
A developer is now seeking permission to erect a 12-foot fence at a kick-about area, on the new housing estate at Stowford Rise, to stop wayward balls annoying neighbours by landing in their gardens.
The proposed barrier would be transparent.
One of the two goals will be taken away temporarily while the other will remain in place.
Baker Close resident Jan Jones, chairman of Stowford Community Centre, has been consulting with Devon and Cornwall Housing (DCH) to rectify the situation.
You may also want to watch:
Jan sympathised with those who have complained and said: “I want the residents to be happy, and I hope that they will voice their objections. I wouldn’t want a ball in my garden.”
The grandmother is well known for her campaign five years ago to save a valued community play area that was subsequently built on when more than 100 new homes were constructed.
- 1 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
At the time, Jan collected 100 signatures. She is glad that there is finally a space for children to play.
“It’s frustrating when you know what the original area was like and we know what could have been,” added Jan.
She wanted to make residents aware that it may take some time for the application for a fence from Devon and Cornwall Housing to go through.
A DCH spokesperson said: “As soon as we are ready, a planning application for a new fence will be submitted.”
Children will still have access to one of the goalposts - furthest away from the current fence at the kick-about area.