�16,000 makeover for Sidmouth seafront railings
Second new coat of paint in 15 years for Sidmouth’s famous Esplanade railings
SEAFRONT railings at Sidmouth are being given a makeover – at a cost of �16,000.
It is only the second time in 15 years that the railings have been painted.
Subcontractors from Moretonhampstead are carrying out the work, which involves sanding down, rust treating, undercoating and painting the 750 metre length of Esplanade railings in a dark Brunswick Green.
One of the workmen on site this week, who described the colour as “British Racing Green” told the Sidmouth Herald: “We started work last week and the work will take about four or five weeks, it depends on the weather.”
You may also want to watch:
The same company painted Jacob’s Ladder a few years ago.
A spokesman for East Devon District Council, who contracted the work, said the re-paint was part of routine maintenance “to protect the railings from falling into disrepair and eventually needing to be replaced.”
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 4 Peninsula League season could be over
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 7 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 8 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
Just last June complaints were made by Sidmouth town councillors about the state of the railings, but EDDC said it could not justify the cost but would make provision in the 2011 budget.
The colour chosen is, says EDDC: “Designed to reduce for as long as possible the visual impact of rust coming through from the metal below, due to the railings being in a marine environment.
Mark Seward, retiring president of Sidmouth and District Hospitality Association, told members at its annual meeting on Tuesday: “I am delighted to see that the Esplanade’s famous railings are currently being refurbished and painted a smart deep Regency green.”