£200 to shop graffiti culprits
- Credit: Archant
A reward of up to £200 is being offered to anyone who can help shop the culprits behind a spate of graffiti in Sidmouth town centre.
Shop owners were left angered last week to find fluorescent pink spray-paint ‘tagged’ on their premises – but Sergeant Andy Squires has a plan to clean up the streets.
As well as netting the reward from the East Devon Community Safety Partnership, he is asking residents if they would be willing to help tackle the tags.
Sgt Squires said the culprits get kudos from having their work in prominent places, but if the tags get scrubbed off soon after, they quickly lose interest.
Residents banded together on his previous beat in Exmouth, tackling the issue as a community for those who are unable to clean the paint off themselves.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone interested in helping to address the issue should get in touch with Sgt Squires on 101.
East Devon District Council’s StreetScene will clear up council-owned buildings but it is otherwise up to individuals to sort their property.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 The more we work together the better it will be
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
Graffiti qualifies as criminal damage and the perpetrators face a fine of up to £1,000 or three months’ imprisonment.
Anyone affected should take a photograph in evidence for the police and then clean off the tag.
To offer any information about the graffiti, call 101.
There are similar issues in Ottery so the £200 reward could be shared between those who offer information leading to an arrest there, too.