Firefighters from Sidmouth, Ottery St Mary, Torquay and Exmouth were called out to a fire at a commercial property in Sidmouth on Monday evening (January 1).

The fire had started in a tumble drier in the laundry room of the building.

Three fire appliances and the aerial ladder platform were called out at 6.20pm; the Incident Commander then asked for a fourth crew from Exmouth to be mobilised to support them.

Throughout the incident the firefighters used six breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets, a thermal image camera, small tools, ladders and a gas monitor.

The fire left the building with 20 per cent smoke damage and 20 per cent fire damage. The fire is believed to have started accidentally and is not being treated as suspicious.