2nd Sidmouth Guides celebrate action packed first year
second Sidmouth Guides celebrate their first birthday with hand-made cupcakes fit for a queen.
But as the girls have discovered, modern guiding is not all about crafts and cooking – but is a programme packed with self-development, challenge and adventure. In the last year, the growing group of girls – aged from 10 to 14 – have enjoyed rugby coaching, archery, ice skating and learning about military life from some army officer cadets.
At their first camp they experienced sleeping out in sub-zero temperatures, shelter-building, fire making and their very own “I’m a Girl Guide get me out of here” bug-munching challenge.
The unit meets fortnightly in Newton Poppleford, but has also participated in a wide variety of community activities.
The girls grew green thumbs as they joined in with tree planting in the Byes for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee community orchard, while the guides’ “Garden Angels” have blitzed local residents’ properties.
You may also want to watch:
Many of the girls attended a local Remembrance Day parade, joined the other guiding units for a winning Alice in Wonderland entry at the annual carnival, made music at Sunshine in November and lots of money at Salcombe Regis Fair.
One of their leaders, Kate Hamilton, who was delighted to come back to guiding after a 20-year gap, said: “This new unit has got off to a great start. We are helping these girls to develop their potential and make a difference to the world.”
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 6 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 7 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 8 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 9 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 10 Woman flown to hospital after fall
To find out more about guiding locally, call Nikki Peckham on 01395 579235 or email email@example.com