5 things to do in Sidmouth and Ottery this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Huge jumble sale, choirs join forces ‘just for love of singing’, storytelling for grown-ups and more.....
1) Bag a bargain at Ottery St Mary Scouts’ famous annual jumble sale tomorrow (Saturday, January 30).
The mammoth event stretches across three Yonder Street venues. One of the highlights is an auction of 100 prize lots tomorrow in The Institute at 2.15pm. Visitors can rummage through books, CDs and DVDs at the Coleridge Pre-school from 11.30am, followed by sales of antiques, games, china, electrical items, furniture and bric-a-brac in The Institute and the Old Boys’ School.
2) ‘Vibrant Voices’ takes place in Sidholme’s Music Room, in Sidmouth, on Sunday (January 31) at 3.30pm.
The Sassy Choir from Honiton will meet the Sid Vale Folk Choir ‘just for the love of singing’. Leaders Sue King and Tess Bisson are looking forward to this coming together, particularly for an item called ‘Tigerioori’.
You may also want to watch:
Entry is free and there will be a collection in aid of the Music Room Restoration Fund.
3) Professional storytellers Janet Dowling and David Heathfield will be telling tales of cunning tricksters and from around the world at Kennaway House tonight (Friday).
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
Spoken Word of SidMouth is inviting over-14s to the venue from 7.15pm to 10pm. Tickets (£8 or £6 for concessions) are available from Paragon Books or on the door.
4) Quiz fans can put their knowledge to the test this evening (Friday) to win money for charity.
Teams of up to eight can enter the monthly quiz, which is held at Sidmouth Cricket Club.
Doors open to the club at 7pm for a 7.30pm start.
The winning team will be able to take away a cash prize to donate to a charity of their choice. Entry costs £2 per person. For more information, call organisers on 07737 924491.
5) The Friends of Sidmouth Library have invited local author Linda Finlay to talk about her work over a cream tea at the Blackmore Drive venue from 2.30pm tomorrow (Saturday, January 30).
Linda has a four-book contract with Penguin and will be talking about her latest, A Family for Christmas, as well her forthcoming title. She carries out detailed research and also takes on the crafts she writes about, all of which are still being carried out in the West Country. Tickets (£3) are available now.