£50K jackpot for Sid Valley’s Admiral Nurse
A campaign to bring an Admiral Nurse to the Sid Valley has been given a huge boost thanks to a £50,000 grant from the Big Lottery Fund.
Driving forces behind the successful appeal say they are ‘bowled over’ and described the award this week as ‘the icing on the cake’.
Members of the Sid Valley Memory Café had already seen the community rally for the cause and raise an incredible £100,000. This has guaranteed the services of the specialist, to help a rising number of people living with dementia and their families, for two years.
The Big Lottery Fund cash will be spread across the next three years to help pay for the £50,000 annual costs of an Admiral Nurse. The donation will be split into three payments of £16,667 and, when combined with a pledge from Sidmouth Town Council, will help generate 40 per cent of the yearly target.
Duncan Watt, chairman of the memory café’s trustees, said the funding gave the charity a more realistic target of up to £35,000 to raise each year, adding: “This is further recognition of the value of having an Admiral Nurse in the Sid Valley and underpins the huge generosity of the local community’s support.
You may also want to watch:
“There is still much work to be done, but with continuing support of local businesses and the community, the memory café has every confidence it will be successful in providing this much-needed facility within our community.”
East Devon MP Hugo Swire backed the campaign by writing to Peter Ainsworth, chairman of the Big Lottery Fund. Mr Swire said: “This grant means that the Sid Valley will have an Admiral Nurse for at least three years, which will be a huge help to not only those living with dementia, but also their carers – many of whom are sons, daughters, husbands or wives. I have always said that dealing with dementia is one of the biggest challenges that the Sid Valley faces and the introduction of an Admiral Nurse will help us to meet this challenge.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity