‘A stitch in time’ - Sidmouth theatre’s dedication to costume designer Gill
- Credit: Archant
Theatregoers checking the time at the Manor Pavilion will be reminded of one of its backstage stalwarts after a clock was installed in her memory.
Sidmouth Musical Theatre, formerly SACOS, presented the timepiece, together with a plaque, dedicated to costume designer Gill Baker, who died in July at the age of 80.
She was a very active member of the society and was responsible for costumes for 34 consecutive productions.
John, her husband of 58 years, said: “Everybody said she was a lovely lady. She loved being backstage with them all, making sure they looked right. This dedication shows how much the theatre thought of her.
“I was very proud and humbled when they said what they wanted to do.
You may also want to watch:
“She was very much a backstage girl. She never pushed herself forward, just quietly got on with the job.”
The plaque reads: “Presented by Sidmouth Musical Theatre in loving memory of Gill Baker. ‘A stitch in time’.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots
- 10 Sidmouth Tennis Club serves up treat at Easter triples' tournament
Gill made costumes from scratch, trawled charity shops for others and altered others still. She meticulously archived her creations and finds, as well as renting them to other clubs to earn a good amount for the society.
The Sidford High Street resident had worked for Savile Row fashion house Hardy Amies – dressmaker for Her Majesty the Queen – before the smog of the city aggravated her asthma and she had to leave London.
She and John came to Sidmouth 40 years ago with their two children, who now have two each of their own. Both theatre lovers, Gill was on the very first management committee for the Manor Pavilion. She remained active, with what was then SACOS, into her late 70s - and even after she was taken ill.
Sidmouth Musical Theatre and Sidmouth Musical Comedy Society are teaming up to present White Christmas at the theatre from Tuesday, November 29, to Sunday, December 4. Tickets (£15) are available from the box office on 01395 514413.