Action pair put in peak performance for charity
- Credit: Archant
A couple who embarked on a whirlwind two-year mission of marathon running and mountain climbing have donated their latest fundraising efforts to the Devon Freewheelers.
Catherine Cochrane – owner of Lexys hair salon in Sidford - and her husband, Lex, completed the Ottery St Mary 10km run and have thanked customers for helping them net more than £350 for the charity.
This is only the latest endeavour for the Wiggaton-based action couple, who ditched an office job and quiet life to embark on extreme fundraising expeditions. They were inspired by Lex’s brother, Paul, who has since died from cancer.
Keen biker Lex, 67, said the Freewheelers’ marvellous work in distributing essential medical supplies across East Devon appealed to them and they wanted to help.
He said: “It was a lot of lovely customers who donated the money and in particular we’d like to thank Paul Lewis of Central Garage, Sidford, who helped raise funds.”
You may also want to watch:
Lex retired from an office job as a senior manager to travel and said his brother – a former marine – was a ‘driving force’ behind his and Catherine’s fundraising efforts, which have netted more than £2,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support.
After Paul was diagnosed with cancer, Catherine, 54, and Lex completed the Cardiff Half Marathon and the following day climbed Snowdon to raise money for the charity that helped him.
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 3 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 4 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 8 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 9 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 10 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
They have since run the Edinburgh Marathon and climbed Ben Nevis the day after.
In September, the couple plan to run the Great North Run and then scale Scafell Pike – the highest mountain in England.
Money from September’s mission will go to Get Kids Going – a charity that supports, helps and encourages disabled children.