Actress Judith Paris performs in The Dresser during Sidmouth Summer Play Festival
- Credit: Contributed
Accomplished actress ‘delighted’ to be taking part in Sidmouth’s annual festival of plays
A former Royal National Theatre actress is performing in the Sidmouth Summer Play Festival.
Judith Paris is the female lead in Ronald Harwood’s play The Dresser, at the Manor Pavilion Theatre.
She plays ‘Her Ladyship’, the long-suffering wife of the main character ‘Sir’, an ageing actor played by the well-known and popular James Pellow. The drama revolves around Sir’s relationship with his dresser, Norman, and follows the events of one evening when Sir has a breakdown as he is about to go on stage to play King Lear.
His wife, who is playing Cordelia, wants him to cancel the performance and retire from acting, but Norman, who has looked after Sir for years, is determined that ‘the show will go on’.
You may also want to watch:
Judith has recently played Lady Bracknell in The Importance of Being Earnest and Mrs Higgins in My Fair Lady. She was with the Royal National Theatre for 11 years and has also performed with the Royal Shakespeare Company, and in films and musicals. She has already been in Sidmouth with the Summer Play Festival for several days, acting in Lloyd George Knew My Father, which finished its run on Wednesday, July 4.
Both of the locally-staged plays see Judith reunited with director Robert McWhir, who has worked with her on several productions in London and is impressed with her talents.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight
“Judith is a wonderfully experienced actress and we are so fortunate to have her in Sidmouth,” he said.
Judith is also very happy to be part of the Play Festival.
“I’m delighted to be joining the summer rep company at the beautiful Manor Pavilion Theatre,” she said. “It’s hard work to be rehearsing one play in the day and performing another in the evening but I’m always up for a challenge and I love both parts. “They are very different roles, and that’s all part of the fun and excitement of doing weekly rep theatre.”
The Dresser opened at the Manor Pavilion Theatre on Thursday, July 5, and runs until Wednesday, July 11. Tickets are £17 or £16 for adults, £8 for under 16s. Box office 01395 514 413, www.manorpavilion.com