Admiral Nurse Heidi thanks Sidmouth Town Council
- Credit: Archant
The Sid Valley’s Admiral Nurse has thanked civic leaders for their support - worth £35,000 over six years.
Recently appointed Heidi Crook was joined by memory café chairman Rachel Johnstone at the annual assembly this month to explain her role to town councillors.
The specialist dementia nurse will support people living with the condition, play a vital role helping their carers – and she will be sharing her expertise with the community.
Rachel said: “As a community you have supported the campaign to bring a specialist dementia to the valley.
“We’ve been in a very privileged position and seen the great of the Sid Valley community.
You may also want to watch:
“Twenty-two months ago we were facing the daunting prospect of raising a lot of money to fund an Admiral Nurse.
“We have now raised £175,000.”
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 8 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 9 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
Heidi, one of only 200 Admiral Nurses in the country, explained that hers is a holistic role – she will be offering everything from practical advice to emotional support to dementia patients and their carers.
She will be working on a one-to-one basis, visiting groups such as the memory café, and increasing the profile of dementia.
Heidi added: “The bigger plan is to train others to raise awareness. I need to share what I know with other people – carer and families, but also businesses.
“We need to be dementia-friendly, but also carer-friendly. You can’t care for other people unless you care for yourself.”
Sidmouth Town Council pledged £10,000 last year to help reach the initial £100,000 target and £5,000 a year over the next five years.
Councillor Jeff Turner said securing funding for the Admiral Nurse was one of his proudest achievements in his time as chairman.