Advice to stock up on oil and more news
Residents in Sidmouth and Ottery areas have been advised to stock up on heating oil by the Devon Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). Read this and more.
SAFEGUARD PLEA: Training sessions on ‘safeguarding’ have been arranged for Tuesday, November 8 and 15, at All Saints Church, Sidmouth. Diocesan safeguarding officer, Sue Chamberlin, will teach members of the the Sid Valley Mission Community, who work with children or vulnerable adults, and will provide training free of charge on behalf of Exeter Diocese. She is hoping to fill all 30 places. Sidmouth Parish Church wants everyone who works with vulnerable people to attend both events, which will run from 7pm to 9.45pm.
FUEL FOLLY: Residents in Sidmouth and Ottery areas have been advised to stock up on heating oil by the Devon Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). The organisation says households who rely on the fuel should join an oil club and stock up now as prices are lower and delivery is faster. Department for Energy and Climate Change figures show that four million households in England are considered ‘fuel poor’, with 30per cent of people living in ‘fuel poverty’. Oil is the most commonly used source of off-grid energy for heated homes. For more information visit www.cabdevon.org.uk.
You may also want to watch:
REGIONAL CRIME: Recorded crime has fallen in Devon and Cornwall by 5per cent in the 12 months up to June, according to the Home Office. Burglary was down by 6per cent, robbery by 4per cent, vehicle crime by 10per cent and fraud and forgery by 17per cent, said the survey. Sexual offences were up by 1per cent which police attributed to more reporting of domestic violence, and work to encourage victims to come forward. Drugs offences rose by 4per cent.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman