Age Concern explains decision behind Sidmouth centre closure
- Credit: Archant
Age Concern has blamed financial issues for the closure of its centre in Sidmouth.
The branch in the High Street shut its doors shortly before Christmas, just eight months after taking over the former Mare & Foal Sanctuary charity shop.
A spokesperson for Age Concern Exmouth & District said: "Unfortunately, due to the challenging economic climate and slow uptake of our Home Support Service, the centre was unable to cover the costs of having a physical presence in the town."
The Home Support Service generates income for the charity, which receives no government funding or grants.
In Exmouth, the most recent figures saw around 1,000 people a week using the service, but the numbers in Sidmouth were much lower.
You may also want to watch:
The spokesperson said: "We know that many residents found the centre and its staff invaluable for signposting, information, advice and advocacy, and for services such as the McClure's free will writing service.
"We intend to continue providing our services from our centre in Exmouth and all residents of Sidmouth are, of course, very welcome to visit us there for help and advice.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 6 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
"McClure's will writing service is also available in the Exmouth centre and it also provides home visits on request."
For further information, call the Exmouth centre on 01395 271 242.