All chook up! Cockerel Elvis helps grow giant sunflower
- Credit: Archant
A FAMILY say fowl play is behind a competition-winning sunflower that has reached a towering 11ft 6in – as their secret weapon is a cockerel named Elvis.
The Douglas household’s feathered friend and his harem of hens fertilised the giant bloom – which is twice the height of an average man – with their droppings
Children Max, 10, Jamie, seven, and Molly, five, landed £100 for their school and a hamper full of goodies after triumphing in Sidmouth Garden Centre’s tallest sunflower contest.
Their 3.53 metre winning effort is only a few inches higher than two other flowers on the same plot.
Dad Jim, 43, who at 5ft 7in is dwarfed by the huge bloom, said: “We planted it in a polytunnel and as it grew we transplanted it next to the henhouse – right where the chicken manure comes out on the floor. It’s that which has helped bring them [the sunflowers] on.
You may also want to watch:
“The tallest is the biggest I’ve ever seen – and we’ve got two others that are just inches shorter.”
White silkie Elvis, who got his name as Jim and wife Emma thought he resembled the King of Rock in his Vegas days, rules the roost with six hens. The one-year-old bird can also belt out a decent song in the mornings.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 7 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 Nature's own nocturnal acrobats gracing the skies in Devon
Jim’s advice to taking part in next year’s contest was fitting: “Get some chickens!”
The family, from Branscombe, will need a bigger henhouse if they want to break records.
The world’s tallest, grown in Germany, sunflower is a lofty 27ft.