All set for Sidmouth Boxing Day swim
Sidmouth Lifeboat to provide on the water cover during Boxing Day swim
SIDMOUTH’S Boxing Day swim is days away and looks set to be snow-free.
Nothing seems to deter the hardy, or maybe foolhardy, from taking part. More than 200 braved last year’s freezing conditions.
Organisers, Sidmouth Regatta committee, with Sidmouth RNLI branch, hope for sun, but know swimmers will arrive, whatever the weather.
Participants should remember it is a “weather permitting” event and their decision over whether or not to run it is final.
You may also want to watch:
Entrants are asked to sign a disclaimer, absolving organisers of responsibility if organisers cancel the swim.
Sidmouth Lifeboat will provide ‘on the water’ cover throughout the swim, which was started in 1985.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
Hundreds wrap up against the cold to come and cheer on swimmers, who should gather in front of Sidmouth Sailing and Sea Angling Club from 10.30am to show off their fancy dress before the swim starts at 11am.
The RNLI will collect donations and teas and coffees will be served at the sailing club before and after the swim.