Alliance against dementia
- Credit: Archant
Communities across East Devon are teaming up to share their best ideas for giving people living with dementia the support they need.
Sidmouth is joining Budleigh Salterton, Exmouth and Seaton in the Dementia Action Alliance – recognising that while there is support available, each town has a high proportion of elderly residents.
It is hoped the initiative can accelerate the existing volunteer work – including Sidmouth’s £100,000 campaign to fund an Admiral Nurse – and continue to increase awareness of the once little-understood ailment.
Mark McGlade, chairman of the alliance and the director of Home Instead Senior Care, said: “The four towns of Budleigh Salterton, Exmouth, Seaton and Sidmouth each have a proud history of supporting those living with dementia and their carers.
“Each town has an active memory café, but also a much higher than national average of older people living in the community. The challenge for many communities is how to destigmatise dementia and to create a more caring and dementia-friendly environment for all.
You may also want to watch:
“It can be a long and hard process to change perceptions, but with education and understanding, great things can be achieved.
“Bringing together like-minded champions from across the East Devon coastal towns area, we are able to build a greater momentum, share best practices, help more people and ultimately speed up the process of making our towns more dementia friendly.”
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
The new umbrella group will bring together the most effective elements of initiatives from acorss the towns, and reach out to new members, from businesses and local authorities to churches and health centres.