Exeter Festival Chorus perform Bach at Sidmouth Parish Church
- Credit: Matt Austin.
Chorus will perform two contrasting genres of work by J S Bach
An evening of music by J S Bach takes place in Sidmouth this month.
The Exeter Festival Chorus are visiting to perform two contrasting genres of his work.
They will sing four of his pieces of German sacred choral music, or motets, interspersed with pianist Peter Adcock playing two of his French Suites, which Bach gave his wife as a wedding gift.
In Bach’s time, composers were usually employees of the court or church, with a responsibility to write music to order for services and ceremonial occasions. While many of the choral motets were written for specific funerals, the keyboard suites gave Bach more freedom to explore and experiment.
You may also want to watch:
The concert takes place on Saturday, October 20, at Sidmouth Parish Church, starting at 7.30pm.
Tickets are £17 with discounts for students and children and can be bought through the Exeter Festival Choir website, or on the phone from Exeter Tickets on 01392 665885.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal