Exeter Festival Chorus perform Bach at Sidmouth Parish Church
- Credit: Matt Austin.
Chorus will perform two contrasting genres of work by J S Bach
An evening of music by J S Bach takes place in Sidmouth this month.
The Exeter Festival Chorus are visiting to perform two contrasting genres of his work.
They will sing four of his pieces of German sacred choral music, or motets, interspersed with pianist Peter Adcock playing two of his French Suites, which Bach gave his wife as a wedding gift.
In Bach’s time, composers were usually employees of the court or church, with a responsibility to write music to order for services and ceremonial occasions. While many of the choral motets were written for specific funerals, the keyboard suites gave Bach more freedom to explore and experiment.
You may also want to watch:
The concert takes place on Saturday, October 20, at Sidmouth Parish Church, starting at 7.30pm.
Tickets are £17 with discounts for students and children and can be bought through the Exeter Festival Choir website, or on the phone from Exeter Tickets on 01392 665885.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council