Appeal launched to help trace family tree
- Credit: Getty Images/Hemera
A Dorset man is appealing for help from Sidmouth residents to research his family history.
Brett Howard contacted the Herald to find out about his paternal grandmother, Eileen Doris Howard, nee Mallett, whom he believes has connection to the town.
Brett said: “My family has a fiery history and I want to know about them. I have had success elsewhere. I have found someone in Washington and another in Salt Lake City, Utah.
“There has to be a connection, if there was someone who could help me understand a bit about my past.”
In a Who Do You Think You Are? style journey, the 28-year-old from Bournemouth researched his family tree via sites such as ancestary.com after his dad flew over to Canada and discovered family members he had never known, in 2001.
You may also want to watch:
The pair are not on talking terms, meaning Brett has no more information about his deceased grandmother, whom he never met. He discovered Eileen committed suicide in Northampton in 1979.
Brett has found a connection to relatives with the surname Ball that lived in Manstone Old House, Sidmouth, until at least the 1980s. A Miss Ball was married to William Henry Mallett and had two children, Eileen, born in 1933, and Howard, who was born in 1940.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 3 'I feel that front line workers should be vaccinated as soon as possible'
- 4 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 5 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 6 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 7 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 8 'We are passionate about involving young people in planning'
- 9 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
- 10 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
Brett is mystified by the fact that Eileen was born in Coventry but is buried in Lyme Regis. He has visited her grave but does not know of any living relative in Devon.
He said: “This is all I know and any help finding something or someone would be great.”
If you are able to help, contact the Herald on 01392 888511.