Art benefits club revamp
BEER Sailing Club’s anonymous art exhibition raised more than �2,000 toward its club house revamp.
Club member Geoff Pook asked artists to anonymously contribute CD-sized paintings, which were then identically mounted in a CD box and sold for �25 each. A total of 161 paintings were given by 59 artists, 137 of which were sold during the exhibition at the Bomb Shelter, in June.
The paintings raised �2,239.25, including sales made after the event, .
Geoff said: “It was a novel way of doing it and worked on so many levels. We had a fantastic response.”
He thanked all the artists for their support and added: “We would also like to thank all visitors to the exhibition, especially those who purchased paintings and hope they are enjoying them. For those who found out they bought a painting by a well-known artist, congratulations on their bargain.”
You may also want to watch:
The second stage of the club house fundraising will be an auction of eight paintings by artists including Eddie Burrows, Bob Bradshaw and Julia King-East at the club’s end of Regatta barbecue on Saturday, August 14. The auction will start around 7.30pm, officiated by auctioneer and estate agent Martin Diplock.
Geoff said: “All are welcome and if they don’t buy a painting, at least they can enjoy the view the new club house will offer next year.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
During the exhibition, a number of artists remarked on the format and the possibility of using a similar format for their club or art society. If anyone would like CD boxes or the mounting boards for a similar exhibition call Geoff on 07966 490429.