Art book collection donated to Sidmouth arts academy
Amateur painter’s art book collection passed to East Devon Arts Academy in Sidmouth
A SPECIAL collection of art books, belonging to Lancashire-born amateur painter Joseph Cooper, who died in Sidmouth in 2001, has been donated to East Devon Arts Academy by his son Graham in his memory.
Following the recent death of Graham’s mother Margaret “Peggy” Cooper of Yarde Close, Sidmouth, the book collection was sorted out and, said Graham, of Peak Hill Road: “I am sure my parents would be delighted to present them to the Academy for the use and enjoyment of the visual arts and wider community of Sidmouth.
“It would be marvellous if Cathy Osbond and her colleagues at the Academy can take this opportunity to build up their art library collection to make it into an outstanding resource for the people of valley and surrounding towns.”
His family have given more than 200 art and architecture books to the Fore Street Academy.
You may also want to watch:
In 2009 they donated more than 400 books on literature, poetry and philosophy to the University of Exeter Library’s special collections and gifted 22 of Joseph’s oil paintings to the Bury Art Gallery permanent collection.
- 1 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 4 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 7 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 8 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 9 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 10 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect