Watercolour demonstration at Sidmouth Society of Artists
- Credit: Archant
Watercolour artist John Bailey came to the Sidmouth Society of Artists to give a demonstration at Kennaway House on Thursday, October 24.
He painted a watercolour entitled 'Cotswold Cottages' to show his methods of working.
The chairman of the society, Lynda Kettle, said:
"John began his demonstration by recommending the importance of doing a sketch first; a tonal sketch in charcoal, showing the contrast between light and dark.
"He emphasised: 'think about colour, composition and contrast'.
You may also want to watch:
"He began his watercolour painting using his sketch as a guide. After his first wash had dried he drew the outline in paint.
"Using a limited number of watercolour paints, he painted wet in wet. John told us to allow the paint to mix itself on the paper, rather than mixing on the palette.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 5 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Grab your chance to win a new TV from Fords South West Ltd
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
"The finished painting showed a loose watercolour style done by an enthusiastic artist with a very entertaining manner. The demonstration was enjoyed by all."